Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Need It

Front Squat
Work up to a heavy double. 4-6 sets

21 Box jumps
800m run
50 Air Squats
800m Run
21 Box jumps


TEAMER #2- one of our 6 male team members..


Marcos Mendez

How old are you? 28

What is your occupation? Athletics Financial Aid Coordinator at Texas A&M University.

How long have you been crossfitting? Since August.

How did you get into crossfit? I tried one of the free Saturday workouts and was hooked by the end of the workout.

How long have you been "seriously" crossfitting? Since January.

What took you to the next level of crossfit? The mental and physical results, I have learned that I can accomplish anything as long as I don’t let my mind get in the way.

What are you interested in outside of crossfit? I enjoy watching and playing sports, running, biking, training for something, and spending time with my wife and friends.

What motivates you? Negativity, tell me I can’t do something and I will train as hard as I can to prove you wrong. The fear of obesity is also a HUGE motivator. Growing up my father was unable to play sports or even run around in the front yard due to obesity and I have promised myself not follow in those steps when I have kids.

What breaks you down? Overtraining, I just don’t know when to quit and give my body a break.

What is your favorite movement/exercise/ workout? Favorite exercise is squats.

What is the movement/exercise/ workout you hate? Burpees, pull-ups, and man makers.

What is one thing you need to improve on? Flexibility!!! I hear it from Daren every week.

Give a brief history about you- life,education, sports, family, travel, hobbies... whatever brought you to where you are today. I grew up in Edcouch-Elsa, Tx, its located in the Rio Grande Valley about 10 minutes from the Mexican border. During high school we moved to Thrall, TX, which is 45 minutes east of Austin. I ran cross country and played tennis while in high school. I graduated from Texas A&M with a Bachelors Degree in Sociology and will soon have my Masters Degree in Leadership Education. I was married on June 28, 2008 and we moved into our house in August 2009. I have run marathons, half-marathons, marathon relays and duathlons. Next on the agenda are triathlons and I believe that crossfit can help me achieve this goal. Staying physically fit is extremely important for me especially since obesity and heart disease run in my family.


Do you eat paleolithically? why/why not? Yes, after the second week of the Paleo challenge I knew that my eating habits were going to change forever. My energy level is always consistent and my immune system has become stronger. Plus actually seeing my body lean out has kept me going.

What is your biggest strength? My biggest strength is that I am a motivator. Anytime you see me at the box you will hear me try and motivate someone.

What is your one weakness? If I don’t agree with something I don’t question it, I just go with the flow.

Give one of your personal crossfit goals- To train hard and convince myself to sign up for sectionals in 2011. SI SE PUEDE!! (Yes, it can be done!!)

8 comments:

  1. Did this workout at a mega gym subbing burpees for box jumps (no boxes at "the fuel elite fitness") -But hell, fifteen bucks a month ain't bad

    Time was about 17 minutes.....best part was watching people flip out when I hopped off the treadmill and threw myself on the floor after every half mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inferno WOD (so damn hot today)
    15:37 20 inch box(bumper plates)
    Front Squat: 95#

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latin night at the box
    Front Squat 115
    WOD- 24 inch box Time 13:?? (not sure)

    Marcos you are an inspiration and truly a motivator! Thanks for always pushing me at the time I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Front Squat:
    155#, 185#, 205#, 225#, 225#

    WOD- 24"box, 12:23

    ReplyDelete
  5. SNATCH BALANCE- 135, 155, 175, 195, 195

    WOD:
    Rowing HELEN

    500 row
    21 kb swings
    12 c2bar pull ups

    3 rounds

    12:23

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcos, I am so impressed with your progress in crossfit. You have come such a long way since we first met and I know you have worked extremely hard to get where you are. Keep that motivating attitude, it's great to hear you finish a wod and encourage others. Proud of you bro!

    Kirk, thanks for posting what you are doing while you are out of town. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing you back in the box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck Marcos! Make us proud at competition!

    Front Squat: 65#, 85#, 95#, 95#, 95#

    WOD: 15:23 (smallest box)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Front Squat: 45#, 65#, 65#, 75#, 75#, 75#

    WOD: 13:25 (medium box with 25# weight on top, thanks to Josh!)

    ReplyDelete